Do Supplements for Shiny Hair, Shiny Skin and Strong Nails Really Work?28.06.2022
Anyone who has ever dabbled with dietary supplements will tell you that not all vitamins are the same. You can find a lot of snake oil in pretty packaging that can drown out the most important vitamins for your hair and nails.
There are many nutritionists who can help us sort through all the noise and find what we need. Even though most people could benefit from a daily multivitamin/probiotic, extra omega-3 fatty acid and vitamin D might be what you need to make your hair, skin and nails shine.
Georgia Thompson, nutritionist and Dr. Trevor Cates (naturopathic doctor and founder of The Spa Dr), discuss how to determine exactly what vitamins your body needs and how to tell if a supplement works. They also share their top picks for hair, skin and nails.
It’s important to remember that healthy hair, skin and nails can only be achieved by changing your diet.
Thompson shares that many people see supplements as quick fixes to their problems, but neglect the fundamental tenets and principles of health such as a healthy diet rich in nutrients and whole foods. These foundational building blocks are what I recommend you start with. You’ll see a significant improvement in not only the quality and strength your hair, skin and nails but also your overall health and well-being.
What makes a vitamin efficient?
Thompson recommends that you consult a doctor in order to get the right tests done and determine what your body needs.
Cates and Thompson both agree that not all vitamins are created equal. Dr. Cates says that supplements are not regulated and it is up to the individual to research the best products.
Here are some tips to help you find the best hair skin and nails vitamins
- Reputation. Brands that have been subject to extensive third-party testing are worth your consideration. Reputable brands often offer clinical trials on their website.
- Efficacy. Look for brands with high-quality ingredients, such as zinc and omega-3 fatty acid, and vitamins A and B, C, and D. This ensures that your supplement is more bioavailable, which means it can be absorbed by the body and used.
- Prepare to invest. Thompson says that many supplement brands found on drugstore shelves don’t have the right amount of active ingredients or ingredients. Often, the quality of these ingredients is poor. It’s worth spending more to get a better quality vitamin that actually works.
- Another thing to remember: patience. Thompson says that while it is easy to become discouraged if you don’t see immediate results. However, it can take many months before you notice a significant difference.
What ingredients promote healthier hair, stronger nails and clearer skin?
Dr. Cates also shares hair, skin and nail heroes such as zinc, vitamin C and collagen peptides. She also discusses probiotics, omega 3s and B vitamins (including folate and B12). Dr. Cates also recommends two natural ingredients that she uses internally and externally: acerola cherry extract and chlorella.
Dr. Cates shared that Acerola cherry extract is rich in vitamin C and puts to shame foods like strawberries and oranges, which are known to be high-in vitamin C.
“Chlorella extract, a freshwater alga that has the ability to purify and energize skin, is what we are referring to.” Chlorella inhibits the enzymes that degrade collagen and elastin.
The Best Vitamins for Hair and Nails
- Nutrafol Women’s & Men’s Hair Growth Supplement
“My husband has been taking this product for eight months and has noticed a marked improvement in his hair’s thickness, fullness, growth, and color. They take a holistic approach to hair growth and target the root cause, such as stress and hormonal imbalances. This is something I appreciate.” Georgia Thompson
- Vida Glow Natural Marine Collagen
Vida Glow, which was launched in 2014 with the Marine Collagen product, has been a popular choice in Australia and the UK. It is sold at Selfridges as well as Harrods. The highly bioavailable (easily absorbed), product is finally making its way to the U.S. market. It will give hair, skin and nails the boost they need.
- Country Life Maxi-Hair Plus Skin and. Nails
“This is a cost-effective, great option that provides a great mix of vitamins, minerals and extracts to support hair, skin and nail growth.
- Spa Dr. Skin, Hair & Support for nails
Dr. Trevor Cates: “This award-winning supplement works like a multivitamin to skin, hair and nails.”
- Pure Encapsulations Ultra Hair/Skin/Nails
“I love this brand and have been using it for years. I trust the quality of their products and the testing they do.” This particular supplement is very handy as it contains ingredients that support hair, skin and nail health.” — Georgia Thompson
- Act+Acre Hair Capsules – Plant Based
This vegan formula, which is clinically tested and approved by Camille Style, is a favorite of Edie Horstman (in-house nutritionist). It contains the essential vitamins and minerals necessary for hair growth. Horstman loves that the company is committed to using unique and clean ingredients like horsetail extracts, which are rich in silica to increase volume and shine.
- FoliGROWTH Hair Growth Supplement
The supplement is rich in biotin and vitamins D, E. It has enough ingredients to replace your multivitamin, while also supporting thicker locks.
- Shedavi Natural Shampoo Vitamins
Horstman’s and Oprah’s favorite! These organic vitamins are packed with B vitamins and fatty acids as well as minerals and protein-building nutrients.
- Ora Organic Beauty Hair, Skin and Nails Supplement
Horstman says this supplement contains organic B vitamins (including biotin), and one billion probiotics. It is unique and plant-derived and organic for hair, skin and nails.
- OLLY Undeniable Beauty Gummy
Olly’s offer packs a punch with vitamin C, a useful collagen stimulator, for hair, skin and nails.