5 Fastest and Easiest Ways to Whiten Your Teeth at Home30.09.2021
If you ignored your parents and dentists’ repeated warnings to you not to drink the multiple cups of coffee you’ve been drinking every day for the last decade, now you realize that your pearly whites are not as pearly as you thought. Do not order every teeth-whitening product that appears in your Google search. Instead, we have the scoop from the pros on how to whiten your smile at home. You might also find some tips that are applicable to products already in your home.
If you have trouble consuming caffeine, experts suggest drinking it with a straw (iced or brewed coffee). This will prevent the dark brown liquid from getting into your teeth. You might not realize that some foods, such as wine and coffee, can stain your teeth. Dr. Joseph Field, a Los Altos dentist, says that other popular drinks such as green tea or foods with turmeric can also cause damage. “A minimum of rinse your mouth with water after you consume items that could stain your teeth. If possible, brush your teeth immediately after you have consumed these products.”
Cosmetic dentist Dr. Amanda Lewis suggests that eating vegetables and fruits can also help to remove stains. “Strawberries have been promoted as a natural stain removal, but there is no data. All raw vegetables that need to be chewed naturally glide against your teeth helping to remove foods that cause stains.”
Here are five ways to whiten your teeth at home, according to experts. Snap some pictures of your bright white smile before you try any of them.
- Dr. Field suggests baking soda as a way to reduce stain accumulation. The expert says that this should not be done every day, but it would be beneficial to do once a week. Dr. Lewis suggests that baking soda can be mixed with mouthwash to replace toothpaste.
- Brush with an Electric Toothbrush. Dr. Field states that the goal of brushing is to remove any biofilm and stain buildup. He explains that electric toothbrushes are more effective because they oscillate and can break down stains easily. His professional advice is to brush your teeth for two minutes after each meal.
- Do not forget to floss! Although it may seem obvious, Dr. Lewis stresses the importance of flossing. The cosmetic dentist explained that flossing not only makes your teeth and gums healthier, but also removes stains between teeth.
- A tongue scraper can be used to remove stain or bacteria from the tongue. This can also help with staining residue.
- Dr. Lewis explains that an over-the-counter whitening product can work for some people. She notes that they generally contain the same ingredients as those used in a dental office, but at lower concentrations. The expert recommends that you use the kit according to instructions and after a thorough exam by a dentist. She adds that if you have crowns or fillings, they will not affect the color of your smile. Dr. Lewis says that he has seen good results with Glo [Science] and Crest white strips in people with straight teeth. “Individuals who have more stain or teeth that are not in good alignment, tend to do better with professional bleaching that can be customized to them.” Coconut Whitening Strips contain 6% hydrogen peroxide. Doctor explains that these are quick, 15-minute home treatments. The strips are made from peroxide, coconut oil, and will whiten and soothe teeth. These are non-peroxide options that use coconut oil, aloe verde, and xylitol. None of these ingredients are known to cause irritation. Spotlight Oral Care Dental Teeth whitening strips are a favorite of Dr. Huang. They have a very short list of ingredients. The active is mainly hydrogen peroxide which is effective in teeth whitening.
- Try coconut oil pulling. Coconut Oil Pulling is a great way to keep your teeth white and clean naturally. Coconut oil is rich in vitamins A, D and E. Coconut oil has natural antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is known to fight gingivitis and plaque. Oil pulling is a practice that dates back to India and Ayurvedic medical practices. It’s easy — just swish your favorite organic coconut oil for 20 mins daily. If you are new to pulling, start with 5-minute increments.
This is the best step-by-step method for whitening your teeth at-home. You can now try to reduce your coffee intake.