How to Style a Visor06.08.2022
A visor is an accessory that can divide people. It’s considered a key component of chic sporty looks.
No matter what perspective you may have, I believe we can all agree that visors are very much in demand. Fashion isn’t fashion if it’s not controversial.
You may be looking for athleisure, the look of the ’90s or the expensive “new money” look associated with country clubs. If so, you might want to know how to wear a it. This accessory is a summer staple and can be worn in many different ways.
This style guide on how to wear a visor will show you different outfits.
What is a Visor?
A visor is a hat that has the top cut off. The visor typically has a velcro- or buckle band that wraps around your crown.
The visor’s “beak” is designed to protect the wearer from the sun’s harmful rays. This accessory is worn frequently by golfers and tennis players.
It’s a common staple in streetwear and beachwear. This is especially true since visors have moved beyond their original cotton construction over time. Today, you can find visors made from clear plastic and rattan.
History of Visors
The history of visors is very small and boring, truth be told. Although no one knows the full story behind this hat’s origins, most people agree that it is American sportswear.
Because the baseball cap was not invented until 1849, its cropped silhouette is often referred to as the ‘grandfather of the visor.
Visors were very popular in the 1990s when streetwear was dominated by the golfer’s cap. This accessory was worn by Bradley Cooper and Eminem, among other bizarre trends during the MTV era.
Today’s fashion scene has yet to see the visor make another grand comeback. It’s a highly debated hat that many trend-setters are keen to adopt.
Why wear a visor?
Sun visors are strictly intended to be used as streetwear accessories. This unique hat is often worn in summer and spring. It usually makes a comeback on sunny days.
As mentioned previously, visors are integral to athleisure and performance wear as well as beach fashion. Because of their bold silhouette, they’ve been embraced by maximalist trendetters.
Visors should not be worn in formal settings. You can wear visors only with evening dresses, pantsuits, and tuxes. It’s better to save your summer cap for casual occasions.
How to Wear a Visor
When suited correctly, visors can be the “piece de resistance” of an outfit. However, visors are considered to be cheepy by many fashion designers.
It’s like trying to walk on a tightrope when you wear a visor. A single mistake could land you in serious trouble. This is why it is so important to plan ahead.
What type of Visors exist?
Contrary to popular belief visor hats don’t just belong in the 90s and 2000s. Designers like Gucci, Dior and Marni have given them a much-needed glow-up. You can be sure that you won’t have to spend $500 on a visor.
- Athleisure: This core aesthetic is often defined by joggers and bralettes, sports jackets and tennis skirts. Often, visors are used as an accessory.
- You can have a beachy look with a visor instead of a traditional straw cap. You can also add sunnies to your bikini set!
- Streetwear: This core aesthetic is bold in its use of color, pattern, and print. This is a great opportunity to try out different types of clothing.
- The look of the ’90s: Layer up with acid jeans and a colourful parachute jacket if you don’t believe that a retrovisor is a fashion trend.
- The high-fashion look is only for trendsetting people who can afford designer products. These could include Gucci, Dior, and Jimmy Choo.
How to Choose the Best Visor Outfit
The style of your hat is a major factor in choosing the right visor outfit. It may be easier for those who are still learning how to put together a cohesive look to choose the cap first, before they start putting it together.
Although it is relatively simple to find a $7 deal online, it’s not recommended for those who value sustainability and quality. It’s time to be a responsible shopper if you plan on wearing your visor frequently.
High-quality visors are typically made from canvas, cotton or raffia. If you prefer the transparent look, plastic is also available. It should feel sturdy in construction as lightweight hats don’t tend to keep their shape over time.
Before choosing a design, trend-setters must consider weight, shape, comfort, and other factors. You don’t want to be restricted by a visor that is too heavy or tight for summer. You will be able to wear your visor for as long as you want.
Additionally, visors are available in many different styles and colors. It is important to take into account your personal style to narrow down your options. Although it might seem appealing to spend a lot of money on designer caps, it could be costly and you may regret it later. I would recommend starting with something simple.
Prices for visors vary depending on their design and the brand. You don’t necessarily have to buy a high-end visor. There are many affordable options available.
How to Style Visor Outfits
Let your imagination run wild. Fashion is all about creativity and confidence. This is especially true for styling visors. This unique hat, which is a staple in many core aesthetics, can be matched with any outfit.
A little inspiration can go a long way in showcasing your style. This style guide on how to wear a helmet visor will show you some different ways to style the hat.
- Sunglasses: Because visors are associated with summer fashion, it is only natural that they be paired with other accessories like sunnies.
- Up-dos are possible: The top of the hat should be cut. Straw hats and baseball caps restrict the options for hairstyles. However, visors allow you to style your hair more freely.
- Earrings: Visors can frame the face. Earrings can enhance your decolletage and make you look more attractive.
- Sporty clothing: If you are a fan of athleisure, pair your visor with sporty clothing like sneakers and tennis skirts.
Fashion Tips to Avoid with Visor Outfits
Visors, like fanny packs and Uggs, are often met with criticism. Although I encourage you to try different styles and aesthetics with this accessory, there are some that don’t work well with it. Therefore, I thought it was best to share fashion tips for avoiding visor outfits.
- Sideways upside-down: This unusual way to wear a visor was very popular in the 1990s. This fashion trend didn’t age well, I can confirm.
- Overalls: A match made in heaven is the farmer-inspired dungaree paired with sporty visors.
- Winter wear: Visors can be worn in spring and summer, as previously mentioned. You won’t want to wear this cap with a puffer jacket or combat boots.
- Formalwear: Although this category might seem obvious, it is a good idea to remind everyone. Visors are not a good choice for evening dresses or tuxes.
- Additional hair accessories: Headbands and Barrettes can only make a visor look more complicated. I would recommend that you just wear the hat.
Sometimes you have to get out of your fashion shell to overcome styling woes. You may be able to find more options for outfit coordination by trying out controversial garments like the visor.
Who knows? Perhaps your perception of visors may change after you experience one for yourself.
It’s easy to answer the question “How to wear a visor?” from designer looks to vintage athleisure looks. Let’s hope you find at least one look you love.